Thursday, January 8, 2009

The Good

Before we get to the most historic election of our lifetime, a brief note on what I consider the greatest year in sports ever. I’ve followed sports fanatically since I was a little child and while I’m still young, I cannot recall living through nor reading about a year with so many incredible events. The Lakers/Celtics meeting again in the NBA finals. Kansas winning the final four in dramatic overtime fashion. Rafa Nadal and Roger Federer competing in what has been declared the best tennis match ever at Wimbledon. The splendor of the Olympics and Michael Phelps’s eight Gold Medals. And I may be a little biased, but I believe Super Bowl 42 will go down as the greatest football game ever played. It didn’t hurt that the Giants won =)




In the wake of eight years of American citizens being royally pissed with their government, it was clear that the country was indeed ready for a change. Voters came out in droves and elected a man named Barack Hussein Obama. Who happens to be African-American. And I voted for him, and I’m proud of that. Again, much has been said on this most momentous of events that will forever mark 2008 as a watershed year for American culture. I just hope that when he gets down to work the 44th president can follow through on the many promises for change. Like everyone else I know, I’ll be rooting for him.



2008 was indeed a year worth remembering like any true college party would be. Let’s just hope 2009 isn’t anything like the hangovers I used to have after a night in the slum.
If you're still reading: thank you. Please share your feedback and happy new year!

2 comments:

shannon said...

i totally agree richard. 2008 had the life sucked outta it and we all were more than ready for the change. I am so excited to see what happens in this country and around the world this year. people need to begin to really take stock in what is happening in our back yard and in the world of others. all over the world people are killing people in mass numbers, people are starving, and being neglected. this year we should all fight the good fight.

Brian said...

I really enjoyed this post. I cannot really properly break down which parts i agreed with and what not without sounding wordy and uninteresting. So i'll save that for when i see you