Sunday, November 30, 2008

Forget Enterprises & Organizations, I Can Have a Mission Statement Too, Right?

For a long time, I've been meaning to get around to piecing together my insights and ideas in a way that is seemingly more constructive and concrete than speaking. Anyone who has ever met me knows that I already do plenty of that. In times like these, and by that I mean always, communicating our ideals and insights with one another is critical. The internet has undoubtedly revolutionized how we go about doing this. I'm the kind of guy that always has his eyes on the bigger picture. I'm constantly focused on getting my point across. Right now seems as appropriate a time as any--Enter the blog

My friends and fellow bloggers: I'd like to quote a very famous mission statement with which you might be familiar. According to it, as college graduates, we will be sought after because we are: 
-ethical and skilled decision-makers and problem solvers motivated to leadership, service, and civic responsibility;
-independent thinkers informed and enriched by a liberal arts education;
-lifelong learners skilled in and adaptable to new information and technologies; and
-individuals who integrate the spiritual, intellectual, civic, emotional and physical dimensions of their lives. 

After four years of political science, philosophy, ancient history, international affairs, religion, and other intellectually stimulating coursework, I find myself wondering where I'm supposed to be right now. Along with meeting some amazing people, binge drinking more than I probably ever will again, and living in some strange and downright bizarre environments, I ended up in an office quite like the one pictured above. (Actually the cubicles at my company are much more spacious and really quite comfortable but Jesus Christ, what in God's name am I doing there????) I am not a cog in the machine. Why does this have to be the American way? I'm not saying I deserve a corner office but honestly, what will it take to do something that I like and that actually impacts the world in some at least relatively positive way? I don't belong in marketing. Should I move to the midwest where incomes and the cost of living is lower? How can that be found satisfying to someone who enjoys the diversity and culture that is New York? It can't be. It won't be. So how does one afford to rent a decent place in the tri-state area while doing something they enjoy and not having to live with their parents (no offense Brian, Richard, or Shannon)? 

It is in our nature (I think) to desire success and prosperity. However, those of us educated in the liberal arts tradition too often exit the confines of our cushy campus lifestyles to enter the world believing we're destined to leave it better than we'd found it. After graduating college in May of this year, I entered the so-called 'business world,' landing a well-paying job with a marketing subsidiary of a major U.S. magazine publisher. I was lured by decent pay, health insurance, and well, they serve a catered lunch to the entire company every day. I think the lunch was a large contributing factor in my choice to take the job because frankly, I was hungry when the HR rep called me...it just sounded great at the time. Six months later, I'm not so sure I'm happy. Where's the god-damn fulfillment I heard all about in college? How long is the wait? I'm getting inpatient and when I get inpatient I get angry. The lunches got old pretty quick and the health insurance premiums are going up as the economy worsens. We've had a restructuring and I think I'm lucky that I still have a job given all of the changes. I'm still figuring out how what I do has a positive impact on people's lives; it may or may not become more clear as time goes on. We shall see. 

I work hard every day. I'm constantly searching for that sacred balance we always talk about. You know, the one between your actual interests and the functions of your life that operate within (and sometimes beyond) necessity? Perhaps the ultimate test of one's conscience is their ability to sacrifice individual wealth for the greater good. You may have been told that as a human, life is truly about leaving your footprint on this Earth. As Americans, we're told to diversify our stock portfolio and contribute sufficiently to our 401k if we want to actually retire in this crazy country of ours. Each day when I awake I find myself wondering how I can reconcile these two ideas. Pondering this, never mind actually accomplishing it, is certainly no easy task.

Friends and readers (do we have any?), won't you join me in writing your own personal mission statement? I know that mine at least will be an ever-changing and adaptable document that does not require a majority vote in the Senate to amend. Honestly though, where the hell are we headed? What do we need to take with us? Are we living or just surviving? What tools and skills are we lacking? What type of support and guidance do you think we will require? Are our goals realistic? What is standing in our way? How can we kick the shit out of it to clear our path? I realize I'm in no position to be issuing assignments. Still, I'm wondering if some direction might be a good place for each of us to start now that introductions are (almost) out of the way. It is a way to focus our energy, actions, behaviors, and decisions toward the things that are most important to us. It is my hope that through our shared musings, perhaps an answer to this ridiculous riddle called life might be found. Indulge me.

2 comments:

shannon said...

as a member of the facet of our workforce that does sacrifice individual wealth for the greater good, I can tell you that emotional fulfillment, although great, is not gonna pay my bills. i spend a lot of my time making sure that the homeless have shelters, food, and someone to talk to. i spend more time helping them get jobs and feel good about where their life is going. at the end of the day i feel great about what i do. i am elated when someone thanks me for helping them out. but when i return home to open my bills I retreat to a very dark place filled with cynicism and anger because i make roughly two hundred dollars a week. reading your post frightens me, actually, because it confirmed my greatest fear: that there is no green grass on either side of that proverbial fence.

Stephanie said...

Upon reading this again, I really like it. We do have this conversation all the time, but reading it got me all riled up. Please post again.
Love,
Steph
P.S. Maybe we should set up AdWords. A bitch needs to eat.