Monday, December 1, 2008

Autobiographical Sketch of Rich/Toad


Whenever I get asked to describe or introduce myself I try and tackle the task with an optimistic approach. That way I don’t end up saying something like ‘I don’t know who I am or who I should be’ or ‘I just spent a whole lot of money on a college education and I feel like I’m right back where I started.’ Those statements above may be true – truer than I’m willing to admit right now, and that kinda scares the shit out of me. I’ll get to that in another post but for right now I’ll just focus on letting you (the reader) get to know whose random thoughts it is that you’re reading.


Like I said, I usually focus on the positive, and on that note I’ll compare myself to a jigsaw puzzle. Right now I’ve only fit half of the pieces together and I don’t know exactly what it’s going to look like once the last pieces have been connected. But judging on what I’ve seen so far, I think the puzzle will reveal a pretty cool picture. (I know that’s a terrible/lame metaphor but forgive me – that’s the best I can think of to describe myself right now.)


As for what I do know about myself:
I’m a 23-year-old college grad, and I think I should be on Jeopardy.
I have tons of friends and I would take a bullet for each of them.
I have a great family that is supportive of me when others might not be.
I’m a passionate sports fan (Giants, Rangers, Yankees etc.)
I have a love of great art that constantly fuels me to reach for a better life.
I work a shitty job that pays just enough to keep me from quitting every day.

That’s what I know about myself so far and I’ve made peace with that. Eventually I’ll fit the rest of the pieces together and hopefully I’ll be happy with what I see. Until then, I strive to change what I can for the better every day and sometimes I even make some progress. But I’ve also come to realize that life is just too short to be unhappy – even if that means having to make compromises in order to enjoy a life that kids in a third-world country will never know.

Most of my future posts will be about every day life, current events, sports, the blue collar idiots I work with, and my weird post-college life at home. Till next time – shine on.
-Rich/Toad

No comments: