Monday, December 1, 2008

the ties that bind

background: after graduating undergrad, i lived in an apartment with a few crazies and after a year moved back home to my mothers house. This move marked the first time I'd be living at home since i was...sixteen years old. At first, I was terrified. Totally bummed about not being able to move onto another apartment, with some other crazies, in a cool new place, I begrudgingly packed my pickup full of five years worth of crap and headed back to new jersey. Now, i will not lie, i was pretty happy about not having to pay rent or utilities anymore. But, I was totally terrified about having to move back to a place that I had left so long ago. I worried about inevitable power struggles, missing clothes, and a lack of veg friendly dinners.

This past Thanksgiving week i realized that i was most thankful for that move. my wonderfully fun and sarcastic brother returned from school on saturday and we spent the majority of the week drinking and making fun of people and running all over the place. His visits mark the rare occurrences that all four of my mother's children are home with her. These times are by far my most favorite times. My brothers are some of the best people that i know. Spending time with them this week reminded me of just what i was missing while I was away for all those years. I guess I had always thought that because they were family, they'd always be there. That being related was just as good as being around. But I was wrong. I missed out on so much during those years that I was away.

I have always been lucky to have some of the most fun, creative, and terrific friends. But this year, I realized that I am also lucky to have acknowledged the value of my family. I might not know where my life is heading and I might not have any idea what I want to be once I decide to grow up. But I do know where I came from and as I grow up, I know who I want to be around.

No comments: